Friday 10 December 2010

Beach Car commotion

A message from Greece yesterday evening with both good as bad news.
A very happy new owner tells me he managed to buy the Beach Car I wrote about yesterday. That's the great bit.
However, there is a sting in the tail, as he tells me: "Unfortunately I have bought the car as 'spare parts' and will not be able to register it for road use. Furthermore, this really hurts, in order to take it away from the scrap yard I have to cut the car in half (roof and floor). I am both happy to find it as furious at the system and the Greek laws for having to cut up a rare car."
Now isn't that totally incredible? In fact, it is a great shame as this is such a historically valuable Mini, or derivative. When the car gets cut up in two it might never be the same again.


Do let me know if you have a good idea to save this time machine from the flame cutter.


UPDATE 16 December:
Hoorah! The car is saved from the flame cutter and restoration has just been started. The now even happier owner: "The body metal is in excellent condition. It must have been stored for ages somewhere warm and dry. The most difficult part will be to find a match for the carpets and to reupholster the wicker seats."

No comments:

Post a Comment