Thursday 15 August 2013

How to recognize Ogle's Super SX1000

Did you ever know there was an official 'Super' version of Ogle's pretty SX1000? I didn't. Until I had a beter look at the advertisement below. The clipping dates from early 1962, less than a year before David Ogle's unfortunate death. According to the article the SX1000 Super not only came with 997 Cooper engine as a standard, but also had bigger chrome bumpers with overriders, reclining seats, carpeted interior and some more features. 

With this information I couldn't resist having a look through all of my SX1000 pictures to see how many of the cars in my file came with the big chrome front bumper. I can tell you now there were surprisingly few. Just about all of the cars in there wear the moulded fibreglass front bumper - like here - it does suit the car better, or so I believe.

Oh, and by the way, the registration 'BOO 799' did ring a bell to me too. Yes - this was the car that Stirling Moss owned - or at least used - for a while. More on that later.

SX1000 'Super' came with extras and is easily recognisable by its big bumper
Picture via Pete Flanagan

Another Ogle SX1000 with the big chrome bumper, photographed in early '60s London
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Big bumper again. Surprisingly, the registration '5 MAR' is addressed to Ogle's first prototype
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

This 2001 picture shows another Ogle SX1000 'Super'. It does have 997 Cooper power
Picture Jeroen Booij archive


3 comments:

  1. The Mini Ogle 5 Mar
    I found in a barn in the late 80's
    it was complete and tried to buy but could not afford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just came across this post (sent to me by my sister) and thought I'd share that I recently inherited an Ogle - I didn't know it was 'super'! Would be happy to share some more info or pics if you want to get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message Tony. It would be super to see more of your car! Can you send me a message at jeroen@jeroenbooij.com ?

      Delete